Site Menu

History: Jones School

Elderkin Law Firm is located in the historical Jones School located in Erie, PAJones School Square, our historic office complex, was the site of Erie's original log school house, built in 1804.

In the late 1800's, Professor Henry S. Jones, Erie's first superintendent of schools, introduced the concept of high school to the Erie community.  His high school, the first in Erie and one of only a handful in the entire Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, was constructed at the Eighth Street site now occupied by the Firm.

In 1980, the vacant, boarded-up, eighty-year old Jones School building was purchased to house our growing staff.  Restoring the historic building to its original beauty became a labor of love for all members of the Firm.  The exterior, with its ornate, curved archway and windows, was completely restored.  The interior was renovated preserving the traditional flavor of the original school building, while accommodating the needs of a modern law office.

Today, the restored landmark continues to be a symbol of the Firm's strength and accomplishments and of our commitment to the future.  The building's tradition of education is continued as the founding partners pass their legal knowledge to new partners and associates.

Jones School Square is listed on the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission's inventory of Historical Places.